08 February 2010

la trattoria

La Trattoria is one of Cairo's best restaurants.  It's on 13 El-Maraashli St., which is right around the corner from 37A Ahmed Heshmat (my old apartment) - lucky me.

Strangely enough, this picture is taken from Omar Sharif's favourite table. You can often see him dining there, and I have had the pleasure of sharing drinks with this wonderful, elegant gentleman numerous times because of mutual friends.  The first time I met him was at the bar in November 2008; and was again introduced to him when I got to know the owners of the restaurant and their friends again in October 2009.  Needless to say, La Trattoria is a relaxing place with good food and a fine selection of "under-the-table" imported wines.
I miss the kind, humorous waiters there, and the elegance that few people know how to preserve in a post-revolution Egypt...

If you love Doctor Zhivago (and Mr. Sharif) as much as I do, watch out for my next post...

2 comments:

Margo Romero said...

You got to meet Omar Sharif? And have drinks with him? OMG.... I've been in love with him since Litvak's Night of the Generals... !!!!! I am so impressed... lucky you..!!!! ;)

juju ariel said...

margo -
Yes, such a gentleman! He is the absolute image of elegance, still with a moustache, too - and perfect French of course.
;-)
-juju